Subscribe to My Free Fun FItness Newsletter

.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

More New Workouts Pt. 2

Photo courtesy of Pixabay.com
Last week I shared my experiences with several workout videos I borrowed from the library in Trying Some New Workouts.  Well, I've got a couple more to talk about today: one from the library, and one given to me by a friend several years ago--both on T'ai Chi.

Energy Boost For Seniors (2003):  When I picked this DVD, I thought it would be easier because it was geared toward seniors.  I figured it would be slower-paced and easier to follow.  Overall, it was very good.  It did start out slowly with basic moves, but then progressed to other moves requiring a great deal of balance, at least from what I could tell.  My balance isn't good, as I've mentioned before, so the more intricate movements later on tripped me up.  It may not prove to be an issue for most, unless you have significant trouble balancing on one leg.  The music and narrator's voice were both soft and easy to listen to.

T'ai Chi Chih--Serenity in the Midst of Acitivity (2004):  I've had this DVD for several years, having received it from a friend who attends a T'ai Chi class.  I like everything about this video except that the woman's voice is a bit too whispy for my liking.  There is an introduction explaining T'ai Chi Chih, a Practice of the 19 (cover says 20) movements, and Chapter Selections.  I like the Chapter Selections because you can pick one movement at a time and practice it over and over without having to rush to keep up with the sequence of movements in the Practice section.  I liked all the movements except the Taffy ones.  I got all confused and tangled up on those.  And I couldn't do the movements requiring standing on toes.  But I did like the explanations and speed better on this one than the Energy Boost For Seniors.  

I would recommend either of these DVDs as they are pretty easy to follow overall.  It just takes practice.  And you can always alter the movements if you can't do a certain one exactly right.  For example, I just stayed with my feet flat while doing movements that required standing on toes.  Do what you can.  That's better than doing nothing at all because you think you can't.  Give it a try.  You may be surprised at just how much you really can do.  Have fun!

I'll be back soon with my thoughts on Chair T'ai Chi.  Just got the book yesterday but haven't had the chance yet to dig into it.  See you soon!
---
Have you viewed these DVDs?  If so, I'd love to know what you think of them.  Hope to hear from you!  Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment