Subscribe to My Free Fun FItness Newsletter

.

Friday, September 6, 2013

Labor Day Weekend Activities

Hey there.  Sorry it's taken me so long to get this post in.  Busy playing catch up after the holiday weekend.  The weekend was basically jam packed. 

First, we took our parrot to the vet, about a two-hour trip one way.  There isn't an avian vet in our neck of the woods.  She's healthy, yay!  We managed to make quick stops at Trader Joe's, Jamba Juice, and other favorite shops, taking turns staying with Hannah in the car.  Anybody a TJ's or Jamba Juice fan?  Any favorite products/flavors?  I like all sorts of stuff at TJ's, but specially the produce, breads, and pasta.  And, at Jamba Juice, I like Strawberries Wild and Razzmatazz, but decided to try something new on this trip--Aloha Pineapple (strawberries, bananas, and pineapple sherbet).  Tasty!  I'm glad I chose something different.

That night, we went to a football watch party.  We belong to a football club.  We get together at area restaurants and members' homes during football season to watch college games.  Good group.  Lots of fun.  Only trouble with this season is that most games will be at a Mexican restaurant and I don't eat Mexican food much.  I'm okay with home-made nachos now and then, but anything else just doesn't appeal to me or it's too spicy.  Hopefully someone will offer to host a game soon.  We're hoping to host later in the season ourselves.  We did last season and loved it.

We also went on a couple of hikes over the weekend:  A local nature park on Sunday and Zion National Park on Sunday.  Fun, fun!  Got a lot of steps in, plus burns calories big time.  It felt good to explore and get some fresh, although it was still quite warm.  By the end of each walk, I had started getting a headache.  Not good.  I'm SO looking forward to fall weather, so we can get some really good hikes in.  My husband wants to start bicycling again, too.  A couple years ago he road his bicycle across his home state of Nebraska, 500 miles a day for not quite a week.  He was awesome!  I drove the support vehicle.  It was so much fun!  Anyway, on the Zion hike, we saw a hummingbird, mountain goats, butterflies, blue jay, lizards, and various other wildlife.  No mountain lions, though.  Beautiful creatures, but I would not want to meet one face to face.  Yow!  We weren't in the back country, but still didn't see very many people.  We didn't head into Zion Canyon itself this time, but rather the East Rim Trail.  That explains it.  It would have been packed with people this time of year. 

After our Zion hike, we went to a pub for supper.  We were eating on the patio and they had their misters going.  Ahhhhhhh!  Felt so nice after the heat of the day's hike.  Then, it started raining on top of that.  We stayed put while others decided to move inside to finish their meals.  It was a refreshing light rain.  Had it started thundering, well, then I would have made a beeline inside.  But this was gentle.  I find a soft rain relaxing. 

My husband and I also played charades.  I've gotten so I love that game.  It's a great way to get exercise in little bursts to add to your total for the day.  Although it's usually a party game, we have a ball just trying to get each other to guess various words.  It's guaranteed to get you laughing, too, which is a bonus.

Did you stay active over the holiday weekend, or chill out?  Share, please.  As for this coming weekend, try something different.  Choose an activity that you've been wanting to try, or used to do but haven't in awhile.  Break the routine a bit--freshen it up.  Let me know how it goes.  Have fun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment