Subscribe to My Free Fun FItness Newsletter

.

Friday, May 30, 2014

My Stress Busters

Image Courtesy of Pixabay.com
Although some stress is healthy, continuous stress can cause health problems such as high blood press and depression.  Here's what I do to de-stress.

1.  Write it down:  Keeping a journal is a great way to relieve stress.  If I get bogged down with a lot of stressors, I write down each one and then, beside it, a possible solution.  It enables me to get the worries out of my head and onto paper or computer screen.  When I organize them, and really think about how to fix them, it makes them seem much less intimidating and worrisome.  No, all problems can't be solved by a simple phone call, for example, but this exercise tends to help lessen the intensity.

2.  Talk it out:  I tell a trusted friend or family member about my concerns.  I even have done a fair bit of talking to myself, taking both sides of an issue. Sometimes just talking things out will help me work through my problems, find answers, and make me feel better.  When that hasn't helped, I've consulted my  physician for an evaluation and been referral to a psychologist (Let's just say I had some big-time issues with being born with spina bifida.  It's still no picnic, but I've adopted a generally positive attitude about it).  Talking things out with a professional can put things into prospective and help me discover ways to solve problems.  Getting professional help isn't a sign of weakness; it's a sign of being serious about getting help.  Helping yourself can benefit loved ones as well.

3.  Daydream:  I have used daydreaming for stress relief practically my whole life.  I think I spent too much time in a dream world, though.  Basically, when I wasn't in school, I was up in my bedroom creating a whole different world for myself in which I was totally healthy and popular.  Years later, a psychologist told me that's actually a healthy way to deal with stress.  I never smoked, drank alcohol, took illicit drugs, or practiced self-mutilation.  I daydreamed.  I had no idea I was doing something healthy.  Go figure.

3.  Guided relaxation:  I've got CDs and books on relaxation techniques which have helped somewhat.  One exercise that worked the best was to imagine my feet sprouting roots, grounding me, relaxing me.  I've never been able to stick with meditation though.  My mind won't quiet down long enough to concentrate on it.  But I do think meditation is a viable option for stress relief. 

4.  Go for a walk:  Whenever I'm stressed, a walk helps immensely.  It helps clear my mind and provides exercise at the same time.  It doesn't have to be a strenuous walk; I just keep a pace that's comfortable.  Sometimes a walk helps me think of fresh new ideas on how to solves problems, while others times it helps me to forget the whole crazy situation and just enjoy the natural surroundings and sunshine.

5.  Work out at the gym:  Stressful situations can put a damper on my motivation.  When I force myself to go to the gym even on the most "blah-feeling" days, I come home feeling refreshed and much less stressed out.  A good workout can really boost my mood and enegy level.  Plus, getting out and seeing acquaintances at the gym can be a picker upper, too.

6.  Watch something funny:  There are certain TV shows and movies that crack me up.  Watching any old thing doesn't cut it, though.  It has to make me laugh from down deep.  It can't just spur a, "oh yeah, that's funny, haha," response; it has to be "the-cats-are-looking-at-me-like-I've-gone-completely-insane" kinda laugh where I can't stop, can't talk, can barely breathe.  That's what de-stresses me.  Two movies that have succeeded in the past have been "Sister Act," and "American Pie."  I was surprised that I found American Pie so funny, because I'm not usually the party-hearty-high-school-antics-movie type of person, but I about died laughing through that whole movie.

For more information on stress, check out this fact sheet from WomensHealth.gov  Stress and Your Health Fact Sheet

I'd also like to hear how you de-stress.  Feel free to e-mail me at iwrite41@yahoo.com, or post your responses in the comment section below.  Have a great weekend!  Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment